What is Cambridge International AS and A Levels?
Thousands of learners worldwide gain places at leading universities every year with Cambridge International AS & A Levels. The syllabuses develop a deep understanding of subjects and independent thinking skills.
Cambridge International AS & A Level develops learners’ knowledge, understanding and skills in:
- In-depth subject content
- Independent thinking
- Applying knowledge and understanding to new as well as familiar situations
- Handling and evaluating different types of information source
- Thinking logically and presenting ordered and coherent arguments
- Making judgements, recommendations and decisions
- Presenting reasoned explanations, understanding implications and communicating them logically and clearly
- Working and communicating in English.
CIE offers a choice of 55 subjects and schools can offer them in almost any combination.
Cambridge International A Level is typically a two-year course, and Cambridge International AS Level is typically one year. Some subjects can be started as a Cambridge International AS Level and extended to a Cambridge International A Level.
Students can choose from a range of assessment options to gain Cambridge International AS & A Level qualifications:
- Take the Cambridge International AS Level only. The syllabus content is half a Cambridge International A Level.
- Take a ‘staged’ assessment route – take the Cambridge International AS Level in one examination series and complete the final Cambridge International A Level at a subsequent series. AS Level marks can be carried forward to a full A Level twice within a 13 month period.*
- Take all papers of the Cambridge International A Level course in the same examination session, usually at the end of the course.
CIE holds Cambridge International AS & A Level examination series twice a year, in June and November. Results are issued in August and January.
* The staged assessment route is not possible in all subjects. The outcomes awarded for Cambridge International AS Level language syllabuses cannot be carried forward to Cambridge International A Level.
The Cambridge International A Level is reported on a grade scale from A* (highest) to E (minimum required performance). There is no A* grade for Cambridge International AS Levels, which run from grade A to E.
Worldwide results statistics for Cambridge International AS & A Level qualifications are provided by CIE
Recognition and Acceptance
Cambridge students are widely accepted in top study destinations worldwide, such as the US, UK and Australia, as well as in many other countries including Canada, Germany, Singapore and South Africa.
However, before a student applies to any institution, it is essential that they check the exact entry requirements on the institution’s website for the course they want to study. If a student still has queries, they should contact the institution’s admissions office.
Note: All of the information above are taken from CIE