This part of the JAMB brochure shows you the requirements to apply for Agricultural Economics under the Faculty of Agriculture in Nigeria. You will see the UTME subject combination needed to apply for the course, O’level requirements for UTME candidates, requirements such A’level, ND, HND, NCE, etc for Direct Entry candidates, as well as other information you require to successfully apply for the course.

List of Degree Awarding Institutions that Offer Agricultural Economics

  • Delta State University
  • Federal University of Technology, Owerri
  • Igbinedion University
  • Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
  • Landmark University
  • Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
  • Obafemi Awolowo University
  • Osun State University
  • University of Benin
  • University of Ibadan
  • University of Nigeria

JAMB UTME Subject Combination

In UTME, note that English Language is mandatory for all courses. The other three subjects required to study Agricultural Economics under the Faculty of Agriculturein the institutions listed above are:

Chemistry, Biology/ Agricultural Science and Mathematics or Physics.

Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks

(i) OOU requires Biology/Agricultural Science and any two of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or Economics.

O’Level Requirements for UTME Candidates

To apply for Agricultural Economicsas a UTME candidate, you require: Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science and one of Geography, Physics and Economics.

Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks

(i) FUAM and MOUA accept a pass in Physics.

(ii) DELSU accepts a pass in English Language.

(iii) EBSU and OOU require ‘O’ level credit in pass Physics.

(iv) UNIBEN accepts Statistics and Further Mathematics. Also requires at least a pass in Physics and a pass in Biology for candidates with a credit pass in Agric. Science.

(v) OAU does not require credit passes in Geography and Economics.

(vi) MOUAU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in not more than two sittings to include English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and any other Science subjects. Also credit in Agricultural Science must be backed up with at least a pass in Biology

(vii) UNIOSUN requires five ‘O’ Level credit passes in the SSCE or its equivalent at not more than two sittings in addition to an acceptable credit pass in the UME.

(viii) UNN accepts five O ’level credit passes in subjects which must include English Lang., Biology/or Agric. Science, chemistry and either mathematics or physics.

(ix)FUTO requires five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,Biology/Agricultural Science and Economics. It accepts a Pass in Physics in not more than two sittings.

(x) LAUTECH requires English, Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Science and any one of Physics/ Economics/Geography.

(xi)UNAAB requires:
a) Credit passes in English Language,Mathematics,Chemistry, Physics and Biology. 
b) At least a pass in Physics.
c) Candidates with pass grade in Biology must possess credit pass in Agricultural Science. It does not accept Agricultural Science in lieu of Biology.

Requirements for Direct Entry Candidates

To apply for Agricultural Economics as a Direct Entry candidate, you require: Two‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and one of Zoology/Botany/Agricultural Science/Biology,Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Geology, Economics and Health Science.

Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks

(i) UNN accepts:
a) Two ‘A’ level passes (London/Cambridge/ Cameroon) (in Chemistry and any of Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science. Economics, Physics Geography/Geology, Mathematics (Pure and Applied) in addition to UTME entry requirements.
b) OND/NCE/HND and Degree holders in Agricultural Science/Animal Health and related fields with a minimum of Lower Credit (Merit) in addition to UTME Entry requirements.

(ii) OAU accepts:
a) Two `A’ level passes in Chemistry and one of Zoology/ Botany/ Agricultural Science/ Biology, Mathematics, Physics, or Economics.
b) HND/OND in Agriculture obtained at upper credit level from recognized Institution.

(iii) UNIBEN accepts Merit in ND (Upper credit)/HND (Lower credit) in any one of Agric- Economics, Agric-Ext., and Cooperatives, Fisheries, Forestry and Wildlife Mgt., Geology, Advanced Microbiology, Food and Brewing Sc., Science Lab. Tech. plus UTME requirements. NCE in Agric. Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics (overall merit pass) plus UTME requirements. Does not accept ‘A’ level pass in Health Science.

(iv) DELSU accepts Upper credit only. DELSU also accepts NCE (Credit) in Agric Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

(v) OOU accepts:
a) Credit pass in OND (Agric) into 100 level.
b) requires ‘A’ level pass in both Chemistry and Biology.
c) OND (Distinction), HND (credit), NCE (Double major) at credit level in Agric.

(vi) IMSU accepts NCE, OND/HND (Double major in Agric with at least a credit level pass into 200level of the programme.

(vii) MOUA requires ‘A’ level pass in Chemistry and Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agricultural Science.

(viii) FUAM accepts OND/HND/NCE in Agric, Agric. Science and Education, Forestry, Home Economics, Food Science and wildlife who posses UTME requirements. Candidates with a credit in only one of Mathematics and Physics must at least have a pass in the other.

(ix) DELSU accepts OND/HND (Upper credit) only.

(x) FUTO requires at least two A’ level passes not below Grade C in Chemistry and any one of Zoology, Botany, Agricultural Science, Biology, Mathematics, Physics and Economics. It also accepts Upper Credit OND/HND in Agricultural Science but does not accept First Degree and NCE. Candidates must in addition meet the UTME O’ level requirements.

(xi) UNIOSUN accepts Two ‘A’level credit passes in chemistry and one from Biology, Agriculture, Physics, Geography and Mathematics.

(xii)LAUTECH requires Chemistry, Biology/Agric. Science and any one of Physics/Economics/Geography.

(xiii) UNAAB accepts:
a)Two ‘A’level credit in Chemistry and one of
Zoology/Botany/Agricultural Science, Biology, Mathematics/Physics.
b) HND/OND in Agriculture obtained at upper credit level from a recognized institution.
c) NCE in Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics (minimum of credit) plus UTME requirement.